Plant based & organic skin-care is trending these days, and there is nothing better than adding botanical extracts to your products. Here at Lughnasa Botanical our go to botanical extract is Calendula, often known as Marigold.
It is a beautiful sunshine-orange flower, and calendula oil is our essential beauty ingredient. Calendula oil is made by infusing marigold flowers into a carrier oil.
This carrier oil is formulated into our skin-nourishing serums, oils, creams, and balms. In collaboration with the Organic Centre, Rossinver, Co. Leitrim in Ireland we grow and process our own organic flowers capturing all the healing benefits in our worderful infused oils with low environmental impact and guaranteed quality.
Why include Calendula Oil in your skincare?
Each calendula petal contains five components, Oleanic Acid, Lupeol, Quercetin, α Amyrin and β Amyrin. This fabulous flower is also abundant in vitamins A and C.
These exceptional compounds have anti-bacterial, anti-inflammatory, and antioxidant properties. They aid in reducing discomfort and soothing the skin.
Let's review the benefits of calendula oil:
- Anti-inflammatory—inflammation can be caused by numerous factors like bacteria, stress, an imbalanced diet, or pollution, which in turn cause acne, irritation, and skin conditions. The anti-inflammatory effects of calendula oil help reduce redness and swelling. It calms the skin and acne, giving it a soothing effect. Calendula also provides relief for skin conditions such as eczema and diaper rash.
- Antioxidant—not only is detox good for our bodies, it is also necessary for healthy-looking skin. Antioxidants cause collagen breakdown and lead to premature ageing. Calendula contains flavonoids and carotenoids that promote skin rejuvenation and blood circulation.
- Moisturising—calendula oil is added to moisturising creams because it provides hydration for plump, radiant skin. Fatty acids in the oil, such as linoleic acid, provide nutrients to help support the skin barrier’s ability to retain moisture. This keeps the skin firm, thus preventing the formation of fine lines and wrinkles.
- Anti-Ageing—essential compounds promote circulation, collagen production, and cell turnover. The formulation of this anti-ageing oil induces skin tightening and boosts elasticity. This gives you youthful skin texture, prevents skin damage and delays the ageing process.
- Anti-bacterial—Calendula prevents the growth of bacteria and fungi that cause acne, dandruff, and nappy rashes. It also soothes the skin, giving relief to such problems.
- Wound-Healing—Calendula’s hydrating, anti-inflammatory, and soothing properties help in accelerating wound-healing. It is also used for treating psoriasis, and it works on little cuts, bug bites, and blisters as well.
Our Irish-grown, organic Calendula is the superstar ingredient in our products. It improves the appearance of your skin and super hydrates it. Calendula oil is amalgamated into a variety of our skincare products.
- Calendula Balm– an everyday healing balm that is a must-have product for your handbag. It contains calendula infused oils, vitamin E and beeswax.
- Rejuvenating Facial Balm-a deeply moisturising facial balm with antioxidants and essential fatty oils. Calendula extract assists in protecting the collagen, thus maintaining a healthy and radiant complexion.
- Dry Body Oil-an organic, super-moisturising oil that dries quickly on your skin.
- Facial Cleansing Oil-a gentle facial cleanser which removes dirt and oil without stripping the skin of its natural oils.
- Pore Reducing Facial Oil-helps homogenize the sebaceous glands, reduces oily sheen; leaving the skin more matte and tightening the pores.
- Whipped Shea Nut Butter-our most versatile product, which can be used as an all-over moisturiser, makeup remover, or hair conditioner. It also softens and heals cuticles and chapped lips.
- Relaxing Baby Oil-it nourishes and soothes the body by moisturising.